Nurturing the Aphrodite in me.
I am often asked how I’ve managed to hold onto a healthy sex drive after having kids. Well, I think this is a question worthy of discussion.
I am deeply connected to my inner Aphrodite and I am not ashamed of that. I used to buy into the story that it was evil to be sensual. What a crock of shit!!! Don’t believe that lie for a second. Our sensuality holds our magic and our healing power. Without our sensual nature, we are disconnected from the beauty of being a woman.
How to nourish your sensuality.
I had three children all under the age of 5 at one point in my life. There were days when I was covered in spit up, and things we don’t need to talk about in this post. I barely knew who I was some days. Even then, on my worst days, I still enjoyed making love to my man. One day a friend of mine who was struggling with her sex drive asked me to share my secrets. I had never really thought about it before. When I sat down to make her an honest list, I realized how simple it was.
1. Protect the sacredness of love making. Love making is sacred, and should be treated as such. For many of us, love making has been tainted by the world. Hollywood, pornographic movies etc have really fucked up our idea of what good love making should be. Connecting with another soul on this level should be. If it’s not, we need to ask ourselves why. Is it our programming, past experiences, dark energy, or a lack or real connection with our partner that’s keeping us from enjoying our sex life. Find ways to purify your relationship with sex. Make a list of what’s keeping you from a healthy relationship with sex and let that shit go!!
2. Fall in love with yourself. Loving yourself unconditionally is the first step to a healthy and fulfilling sex life.
3. Time in Nature. The more connected I am to the Earth, the more connected I become to my inner Goddess. Find yourself in the rhythms of Mother Nature. Let her teach you her ways.
4. Health. Wellness is everything. And I’m not talking about being physically fit. Being fit surely helps, but I can tell you from experience that you can be supermodel material and not have a healthy sex drive. When I eat good food, I feel good. Keeping my body well nourished, hydrated and free of toxins has been crucial to protecting a healthy sex drive.
5. Confidence. Know who you are. Find your power and walk in it. Don’t give up your personal power & magic for anyone. Not your husband, your family, your kids, your career. No one should hold that kind of power over you.
Protect your magic!!!
6. Freedom. This might be a touchy subject, but It needs to be said. We need freedom. We are wild by nature and were not meant to be caged, domesticated house pups. Rewild your love life. Give yourself and your partner (or partners) freedom to be themselves. Freedom to follow their heart and be their authentic self. We do not own each other. I don’t care what that marriage certificate says or what our culture tells us about relationships. We do not have the right to manipulate and control any other human being, ever! Freedom of expression is key. Rewild yourself, your relationships and your sex life. Ready, set, GO!
Kitchen remedies to help boost sex drive.
Maca. This has been the go-to herb for women living in the Andes for centuries. Maca’s high iodine content supports a woman’s hormone balance and its high zinc levels, an essential mineral for sex hormones, does more than fan the flames of desire. Women who took maca root in one study reported improved sexual experiences and satisfaction.
Take your love making serious. Skip the wine, and blend up a cacao, maca elixir.
Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate containing 70% cocoa may help increase dopamine levels in the brain. A rise in the brain’s “pleasure chemical” dopamine lifts the mood, relaxes, and improves the body’s response to stimulation.
On my nightstand:
Cacao butter lotion (it’s edible): My mama makes a chaga cacao butter lotion that is out of this world. Lovers that smell & taste like chocolate. Um…YES!
Yoni serum. Rose scented yoni serum from Living Libations. It’s amazing!!
Love butter. Another epic Living Libations creation.
Did you know that women greatly benefit from daily orgasms?
Love making provides a unique form of healing. It helps slow down the spinning for a little bit and helps us fully relax and be present in the moment. Who doesn’t need that in this crazy world?
Love making is damn good medicine that we all need more of.
I know that life can make it difficult to find time for sex. Kids, jobs, schedules etc.. All present a pretty massive challenge. Get creative. Make time! We need to get our priorities straight 😉
An orgasm a day keeps the doctor away.
- Brooke Hampton